It’s also known as Alsi, Linseeds, Tissi, and Virai. Flaxseeds are the most powerful seed on the planet. Flaxseed has been grown and cultivated for over 6000 years. This is one of the most ancient crops and has some health benefits for the human body. There is reduce a lowered risk of heart disease, arthritis, and inflammatory bowel disease.
Earlier, flaxseed was grown over most parts of Europe and an essential part of the diet. One of the things that the Puritans brought with them when they left Europe for a new life in North America was actually these flaxseeds. This is very easy to include in our daily diet. If you suffer from problems with constipation then eating whole flaxseed is good for this problem.
Nutrition value of Flaxseeds
1 tbsp whole flaxseeds
- Calories 55
- Carb 3g
- Fiber 2.8g
- Fat 4.2g
1 tbsp ground/powder flaxseeds
- Calories 37
- Carb 2g
- Fiber 1.9g
- Fat 3g
There are rich in fiber and a good source of protein and in this also vitamin and minerals available. There is a rich source of thiamine(Vit B1), copper, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, iron, antioxidant acids. In this laxative property are available.
- High in fiber:- In this 60%-80% soluble fiber and 20%-40%, insoluble fiber is available. This helps to the gut problem and helps to solve the constipation problem. This is Supports the good gut bacteria, control hunger, improve digestive health, reduce blood sugar. Flaxseeds are also used in weight loss.
- High protein:- They are a good source of high-quality protein. In this two types of amino acids are available Glutamine and Arginine they are good for heart support and immunity.
- Omega-3:- Flaxseeds are the richest source of plant-based omega-3. This healthy for your nervous system, brain, hair, and skin.
This is a rich source of Alpha-Linolenic Acid (ALA) which is reduced inflammation and bad cholesterol.
- Rich in Lignans:- This balances your estrogen hormone level in both the male and female bodies. It is an antioxidant & phytoestrogen. This is similar to female hormones estrogen.
- Flaxseeds control blood pressure, support kidney health, reduce symptoms of asthma, and good for bone health.
- This eases out the symptoms of menopause.
- This helps increase breast milk if you consume post-pregnancy.
- This reduces the risk of prostate, ovarian, breast, and colon cancer.
- This is helping to weight loss because in this low carb and high protein present.
- To consume flax seeds, they must be ground/powder, as the whole seeds may pass straight through the body. Use ground and roasted seeds.
The sides effect of Flaxseeds(Alsi)
- Induce Loose stools:- The presence of the high amount of fiber in flaxseeds provides. It is a laxative property. when used in high quantity this can actually trigger abdominal discomfort increasing the frequency and count of your bowel movements you might even experience diarrhea. if left untreated this situation can lead to complicated health conditions such as ulcerative colitis, irritability, bowel syndrome, etc.
- Delay clotting time:-Excessive use of flax seed can impact the clotting of blood. the blood clotting happens that the time taken will be quite long.
- Intestinal blockage:- Using flax seeds in large doses can obstruct the intestines. Those who have already suffered health conditions are advised to stay away from flaxseeds. People suffering from scleroderma should also avoid these.
- Increases the risk of macular degeneration:- Studies suggest that high consumption of flaxseed could put you at a higher risk of macular degeneration.
- Not safe during pregnancy:- Studies suggest that the hormonal varying property of these supplements can induce menstrual cycle affecting the mom and baby in an unanticipated harmful.
* If you are a beginner then take 1/2 to 1 tbsp. You can take a maximum of 2 to 4 tbsp daily.
* If you are suffering from thyroid then take advice from an expert before taking.